Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Walford Web, the online home of EastEnders' discussion since 1997. We cover EastEnders news, discussion and spoilers. Join the discussion and make your voice heard! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're wondering what EastEnders is, click here to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jay Brown/Jamie Borthwick appreciation thread; Appreciating Britain's favourite ginger
Topic Started: 19 Aug 2016, 13:49 (115,648 Views)
Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

Guys, I really like Jay. He's my favourite character on the show.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

I just felt like this was a good time to finally get my love for him out in the open.
Posted Image

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmw4E0jLaDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8W7c_7gjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSRlZ1FpLQc

No reason we can't show Jamie some love either.
Posted Image

See You Slater
Member Avatar

I feel like Jamie would have won the Bounce Off quicker if he was wearing Speedos. Or nothing at all.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Daniel68
Member Avatar

Jay is such a good character. I wish they hadn't done the Linzi storyline though because that will be a mark against him forever. But what a brilliant example of long term character progression, and such a good actor too

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

I actually quite like the fact he'll never truly be able to shake off the Linzi thing. He can recover, he can move on but every time he meets someone new or actually gets a date, it's going to come up and it's going to cause problems.

It's why I'm quite determined that his next girlfriend should be someone who doesn't know him, or at least someone who doesn't know he's on the register i.e. Courtney.

I was indifferent to Jabi most of the time but with how much of a tool Abi has become, they're something of a notp for me now. I want him as far away from her as possible.

I'm also still sad we never really saw Jay and Lola give it a fair shot.
Posted Image

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

When Jay was a kid he annoyed me, but one of the best surprises of coming back to EE the last few years was seeing how much I'd grow to care about Jay, and appreciate Jamie's sterling work in the role. No one else in his age range can go toe-to-toe with the likes of Steve McFadden. He's been incredible this year. I've said more than once that he has the face and build of '30s film stars - he really missed an era that would have showcased him the way he deserves to be. I hope Eastenders, or some other show, will do the same, because he's certainly proven (if it needed to be proven) his value this year. Jay is such a special character, and there's something so pure about his relationships with people like Ben. He could easily be made into a lead, a star of the show, if they try.

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

Surprisingly, I actually wouldn't go into meltdown if Jay were to actually leave EastEnders. I'd be gutted, yes, and I'd be a little bereft of characters whom I'm really invested in but at the same time, I've really grown to adore Jamie in this past year. I've always thought of him as a talented actor but I never really considered that I was a fan of him as a person, always Jay.

I don't know if he would, but if Jamie ever felt his fate lay outside of EastEnders, then I'd be more than accepting of an exit for Jay. Hell, a part of me is very interested in saying Jamie in some other type of roll - his only other TV credit at this point was appearing as a young yob on 'Not Going Out' in 2005. I'd be interested to see him tackle a roll that is entirely different to Jay Brown.

He's not a Hollywood type, I don't think, they're more focused on the Ben Hardy's of the worlds but I do feel he could really make a mark in British film or television if he was inclined to do so.

I would, however, be very upset and annoyed if he were to be axed from the programme. I think that would be the day I finally give up.
Posted Image

Daniel68
Member Avatar

Mitchells 42
19 Aug 2016, 18:06
Surprisingly, I actually wouldn't go into meltdown if Jay were to actually leave EastEnders. I'd be gutted, yes, and I'd be a little bereft of characters whom I'm really invested in but at the same time, I've really grown to adore Jamie in this past year. I've always thought of him as a talented actor but I never really considered that I was a fan of him as a person, always Jay.

I don't know if he would, but if Jamie ever felt his fate lay outside of EastEnders, then I'd be more than accepting of an exit for Jay. Hell, a part of me is very interested in saying Jamie in some other type of roll - his only other TV credit at this point was appearing as a young yob on 'Not Going Out' in 2005. I'd be interested to see him tackle a roll that is entirely different to Jay Brown.

He's not a Hollywood type, I don't think, they're more focused on the Ben Hardy's of the worlds but I do feel he could really make a mark in British film or television if he was inclined to do so.

I would, however, be very upset and annoyed if he were to be axed from the programme. I think that would be the day I finally give up.
I never knew he had been on Not Going Out, love that show!

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

Daniel68
19 Aug 2016, 18:39
Mitchells 42
19 Aug 2016, 18:06

I never knew he had been on Not Going Out, love that show!
Like really briefly in the first series. He gives one of the main characters some lip. It's essentially just a prelude to 2006 Jay.
Posted Image

MuteBanana
Member Avatar

I think he would go off and play similar characters to Jay. I'd wish him all the best if he left and would follow his career but I'd much rather watch him become a legend on the show.

His age is so frustrating sometimes. Like Sue Osman says he can match any actor on the show and he has years of history with so many characters. He just needs those years of age to make him independent. That or they finally get the dream team of Jay and Abi back together and find them a flat to start a family in.

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

Posted this in the joke thread I set up last night thanks to SYS, but I feel it should be here also:

I find Jay immensely fascinating and interesting to watch. This is a character with a decade long history on the show and a hell of a tough backstory - he can move into generically nice and boring from time to time but I've always found him to have a really scrappy, survival instinct when he needs to have one. Look at the scene from earlier this year where Phil was accusing him of diddling Louise; all of Jay's sweetness and politeness went out of the window. He was furious. He was angry and he was clearly terrified but the anger took over as he really struggled to believe that Phil would accuse him of this after all these years - and he went in for the attack. He called Phil out for what he is, baited him into trying to swing a punch before quickly dodging it and leaving Phil looking like a small, pathetic mess on the floor, exposed for the small man he really is. I can't think of one character on the show who has made Phil look as small as Jay did in that scene within the last ten years.

Jay is nice, he's lovely, and that does have a lot to do with how much I like him. I root for the characters who I feel deserve it, Jay has always tried his best to be a good person but can be easily lead astray by his desire to actually fit in and have a family as well as a genuine naivety to people's motives. Jay wants to believe the Mitchells truly love him and want him as a member of the family, he gets wake up calls about this every so often, but as with most people in abusive cycles (which is what I believe the Mitchells, particularly Phil, have inflicted on Jay) he falls back into the cycle. He peddles and he pushes for them because he wants to be on their good side, then as soon as Jay does something they don't like, he's cast out once again and left to be reminded of how alone, insignificant and unwanted he is.

In a way, I am really enjoying seeing this storyline push Jay into newly low depths. It makes for a good internal contrast for him between his right, moral side and his innate survival instinct. He's not drug pushing because he's a bad person, he's doing it because he has decided that the income he receives from this is his only way of staying financially stable after he has once again been left without a home or job. There are immensely frustrating elements to Jay's character - his genuine belief back in 2011/2012 when he was in his 'true Mitchell' stage was a very annoying period for the character but you can even rationalize that. He was 16, he'd been without a family for so long and for the first time since Billy's fostering him, the Mitchells at large seemed to be taking him in and really treating him as more than just the runt of the litters foster kid. It went to Jay's head because he was young and a bit cocky but also lonely and still searching for validation and belonging - he got a call back to reality when Ben killed Heather and Phil chucked him under the bus. Since then, his relations to the Mitchells were a lot more lukewarm - it took him 2 years to get back in the family fold proper and he's never called himself 'Mitchell' again.
Posted Image

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Just gonna leave this.
Posted Image

MuteBanana
Member Avatar

That was so deliberate.

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

I don't think it was, which makes it all the better. I think it was after that set of scenes that the endless "did I mention that he's my bruvva and ONLY my bruvva??" stuff started.

The Walford Wonder
Member Avatar
My son is in the kitchen eating a biscuit.
Wasn't there a scene where they were sitting down and we saw Jamie's six pack?!
Posted Image

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

The Walford Wonder
22 Aug 2016, 11:54
Not that I'm aware of???!!!
Posted Image

The Walford Wonder
Member Avatar
My son is in the kitchen eating a biscuit.
Mitchells 42
22 Aug 2016, 12:00
The Walford Wonder
22 Aug 2016, 11:54
Not that I'm aware of???!!!
Maybe it was a dream. :P
Posted Image

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

I still maintain any attraction there is solely one sided on Ben's part
Posted Image

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

I think it's why Ben goes full throttle on relationships. I think he loved Paul, but I do think if Jay had come forward and said he loved Ben, Ben would have dropped Paul like a hot potato on the spot.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · EastEnders Fan Clubs · Next Topic »
Add Reply