Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Walford Web, the online home of EastEnders' discussion since 1997. We cover EastEnders news, discussion and spoilers. Join the discussion and make your voice heard! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're wondering what EastEnders is, click here to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Random comments on past episodes
Topic Started: 15 Oct 2016, 17:05 (28,570 Views)
Sue Osman
Member Avatar

I know there's a thread for clips, but I didn't see one for just random discussion of stories or characters that isn't worthy of a thread.

Here's one to start.

Until recently I hadn't actually watched any of the Heather/Garry/Minty/Shirley/Hazel/Manda/Bobby Davro/etc. material in a long time, and had wondered if as the show has been more of an outright mess in recent years and was in overall decent shape in 2007-2010, if that material would seem a lot better to me now, even though I hated it at the time.

Well as it turns out...no. It still makes me cringe so much I'm lucky not to keel over while watching.
Edited by Sue Osman, 15 Oct 2016, 17:07.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shamelessness
Member Avatar

25th April 1994. Sharon tells Vicki they are sisters.

Vicki: Are there any more of us?
Sharon: No, darling. I think it's just you and me.

Oh Sharon, if only you knew...

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

The guy who played Mad May's husband Rob was shit wasn't he?

It's odd going back to 2007 and seeing how...well, shit quite a few in main scenes are. I can see now why Santer swung the axe.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

I wish they had given Sarah Hills a proper exit storyline or even just a proper exit scene. One minute she is there at Matthew's trial, then she's just gone. When i first saw her last episodes back in 1999 it took me weeks to even realise she was gone and Irene kept mentioning her for a while as if she was still there and i expected to see her again. Such a strange exit for a character who was there for 4 years so hardly like she was a short term character!

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

Sarah Hills
23 Oct 2016, 01:32
I wish they had given Sarah Hills a proper exit storyline or even just a proper exit scene. One minute she is there at Matthew's trial, then she's just gone. When i first saw her last episodes back in 1999 it took me weeks to even realise she was gone and Irene kept mentioning her for a while as if she was still there and i expected to see her again. Such a strange exit for a character who was there for 4 years so hardly like she was a short term character!
When I read an EE book years ago they acted liker her exit was getting her own back on some guy. I didn't realize she had no onscreen exit.

NevermindMe
Default Avatar

I think they went for a realistic exit as there'd been talk of her going to University for some time and how she wanted to delay Uni to support Matthew etc. Her role at the trial was believable as I believe she was also a witness called to give evidence but yes, a scene at least of her and Irene saying goodbye would've been nice.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

NevermindMe
23 Oct 2016, 10:32
I think they went for a realistic exit as there'd been talk of her going to University for some time and how she wanted to delay Uni to support Matthew etc. Her role at the trial was believable as I believe she was also a witness called to give evidence but yes, a scene at least of her and Irene saying goodbye would've been nice.
I would have liked Irene to say something like ''Look at you now, you've really grown up and you're a confident young woman now with everything ahead of you'' Because she really did change a lot in her last year or so,becoming far more confident and outgoing

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Ok i figured this thread might be the best place to ask a question

It was 2002 when Laura threw boiling fat in Janine's face right?

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

Sarah Hills
3 Nov 2016, 01:23
Ok i figured this thread might be the best place to ask a question

It was 2002 when Laura threw boiling fat in Janine's face right?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/episodes/finder/list_episode_200207.shtml

Dan
Member Avatar

Sarah Hills: Daniela has done very, very well since she left the show and has been one of the real successes. A long-term, memorable role on a popular sitcom, period pieces, dramatic roles on long running TV shows, done OK in theatre too. With her aunt and her cousins there, I think if they could get her back, it might not be a bad bet because she's a good actress and the character was very different especially with the intense religious angle. I wouldn't have trusted this under DTC as she'd probably turn into the female Lucas but under SOC, it could work.

Cliff Parisi and Ricky Groves are good actors and utterly wasted on the Men Behaving Badly parody junk they were given.

Sean .S
Member Avatar

In 2003, Sharon is in the toilet when Den arrives and Den says "Allo, Princess" with Sharon left jawdropped.

Shamelessness
Member Avatar

I'm currently speeding my way through 1995, and can't quite believe the amount of dialogue Tracey has. She had quite a few scenes with Binnie in The Vic - this is the first year I've actually noticed Tracey working there. She also had quite a tearjerking scene with Nigel after Debbie's death, where he said he'd be eternally grateful to her for introducing him to Debs.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Since you mentioned Binnie, i thought that Della and Binnie were two of the most unmemorable and instantly forgettable characters in EE's history

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

A few days ago I watched the episodes where Pat went to get answers about her sister. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a disparity in tone or material as everything else in the episodes were Shirley dealing with a sadsack Heather and Garry melting down after Dawn told him she didn't want to date him and he had to put up with more of the ickfest of Minty and his mother. It was more noticeable for me than something like Kathy's return with suicidal Ian vs Elaine, Babe, and Scott Neal, as the former wasn't any good anyway, while the Pat stuff was actually pretty good. I appreciate Santer for giving Pam St Clement that chance (one of the last real chances she had to act in the role of Pat), but it was an eye-opener on the segregating of what he likely considered B or C-level characters. There was a beautiful scene where Pat put a photo of her late sister on a table, next to her other family photos...and then the duff-duff was Minty making an indigestion face because Garry's mother thought he was proposing to her.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

I've just seen again the scene where Jim proposes to Dot on the London eye. The scene itself is quite sweet. I just never saw why Dot would marry Jim when they were just companions and didn't really need to be married just to be companions, it never really rang true to me that she would marry again and to me Dot will always be Dot Cotton not Dot Branning. But the scene on the eye is sweet i can't deny that

dan sullivan
Default Avatar

I remember that scene very well, I saw it when it was originally aired. Its a tender scene and the location makes it extra special. I agree about dot marrying jim and always being dot cotton.

Shamelessness
Member Avatar

From July 1998, a week of episodes set in Paris. I love that they changed the titles to the Seine instead of the Thames.

Posted Image

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

That's great. I don't think I ever even saw those as I would have remembered this. Very creative.

Was this when Ricky and Bianca went to see Diane and took care of her kid briefly? I do remember that.
Edited by Sue Osman, 9 Nov 2016, 20:43.

Shamelessness
Member Avatar

Sue Osman
9 Nov 2016, 20:42
That's great. I don't think I ever even saw those as I would have remembered this. Very creative.

Was this when Ricky and Bianca went to see Diane and took care of her kid briefly? I do remember that.
It was 3 10 minute episodes which aired the same week as the World Cup final. Featured Pat, Roy, Barry, Robbie, Huw and Lenny in Paris.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

This was very unpopular i seem to remember at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOpciY3qZ4

I actually liked it. Its nowhere near as good as the original but i thought it was fine.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · EastEnders Past · Next Topic »
Add Reply