Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Walford Web, the online home of EastEnders' discussion since 1997. We cover EastEnders news, discussion and spoilers. Join the discussion and make your voice heard! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're wondering what EastEnders is, click here to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
22 Awful Characters of the 80s and 90s; Did you like any of them?
Topic Started: 16 Apr 2017, 21:12 (1,972 Views)
Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

For every great character there will always be some awful characters as well. These are some of the characters i really hated from the '80s and '90s, of course its only my opinion and a character i think is terrible someone else might think is great, so i would be very interested in hearing peoples opinions on my choices here. And please don't be offended if i listed a character you like hehe! :)

PETE BEALE, 1985-1993

Played by Peter Dean

Peter Dean couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, that was bad enough, but the fact that Pete really wasn't a particularly likeable character only made matters worse. He was narrow minded, a bigot, a bit of a bully sometimes and also seemed to be somewhat misogynistic. He was most upset when Kathy dared to have a life outside of their marriage and deeply resented her for joining the Samaritans when she was supposed to be at home cooking his dinners for him because he was not capable of doing it for himself. So what we got were thrilling scenes of Petey throwing his toys out the pram and acting like an overgrown, petulant toddler. When Kathy finally had enough and left him he found it hard to accept and turned to alcohol in scenes that i would truly call pathetic. With a more likeable character or a stronger actor you might feel sorry for them, but because he was so bad in both regards i could not give a toss about it. We then got quite a long period where Pete was finding it hard to accept the marriage was over ''I LOVE YA KATH, PLEASE COME BACK TO ME...I WANT US TO TWY AGAIN KATH!''

He lasted much longer than he should have by at least 3 or 4 years. Julia Smith wanted to kill him off on the first Christmas but later changed her mind, so clearly she was not too delighted with him either. But having said that i have to admit he did have his moments (after Willmott-Brown raped Kathy, scenes with Kenny and Pat over Simon's parentage) and he was quite sinister during the storyline where Dot enlists his help to lock Nick in the bedroom. So clearly he was not without merit, but for a character that lasted over 8 years, those good moments are a bit too few and far between for my liking

HANNAH CARPENTER.1985-1987

Played by Sally Sagoe

Absolutely detestable character. I can't think of one good thing to say about this horrible cow of a woman. She was a ghastly snob, a nagging wife. She had a face as miserable as sin. Everytime she appeared on screen it was to nag at Tony or moan about how she hated Walford and how beneath her it was, or stick her nose in other peoples business. These types of characters can be very entertaining with the right actors playing them and if they are written well. But Hannah Carpenter was just a boring cow of a woman, the actress had no charisma in the role and no screen presence. Very much a weak link of '80s EE

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

The obnoxious member of ''the banned'' who was one of those ''the whole world sucks and the world owes me a living'' type characters. Constantly had a face like there was a bad smell under his nose, when the only thing that stunk was this dreadful character and the awful actor playing him. Like Hannah Carpenter, there is literally nothing positive i can say about this character, other than that thankfully his time in the show was pretty short

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

Naima's cousin and a man with a serious attitude problem. Came in like a bull in a china shop trying to take over Naima's shop (and her life too it seemed) when she had been doing fine on her own. ''He's a Sikh!'' was his catchphrase, he would cry it out constantly over his dismay at Naima dating Dr Jaggat Singh. She would respond by, quite rightly, telling him to mind his own business and that she didn't care that Jaggat was a Sikh

MATTHEW JACKSON, 1988-1989

Played by by Steven Hartley

The ghastly husband of Carmel, a violent thug. Why he was the way he was was never really explored but he was basically just one of those characters who beats the woman up and then says ''sorry i won't do it again'' afterwards, and then does it again and the cycle repeats. Steven Hartley played him well and he was genuinely terrifying when he lost it, but i found it uncomfortable to watch. I know soaps, and particularly EE during that time, would tackle hard hitting subjects but i never enjoy watching domestic violence (and that includes when its the woman doing it to the man too, or when it was Phil or Grant doing it) I never really found Matthew likeable, even when he was being ''nice'' either. Carmel's brother Darren took an instant dislike to the man when he first met him and i think i did too

MARGE GREEN, JULIE COOPER, TREVOR SHORT, DANNY WHITING, VINCE JOHNSON, LAURIE BATES, 1989-1990

Played by Pat Coombs, Louise Plowright, Phil McDermott, Saul Jephcott, Hepburn Graham, Gary Powell

Yeah i'm just going to lump all these characters together, seeing as they were all introduced around the same time and then all hastily axed around the same time too. These characters were all introduced by then producer Mike Gibbon who wanted to bring more comedy into the show as he felt it was too depressing. None of these characters worked and i remain horrified that we had to lose Guizin and Mehmet to make way for them. While the first half of '89 was very strong, the second half was weak and most of the blame for that lies with these characters. None of them ever really felt like they fitted in or were integrated well with the rest of the characters.

Marge was just annoying and unfunny, she felt like a Coronation Street character, like a Mavis Wilton type character. Infact most of these characters felt like Corrie characters Julie was unremarkable and only really started to get slightly more interesting just before she left (which is often the case) when she got involved with the Mitchell brothers during their earliest time in the show. Trevor was incredibly annoying, .like a poor mans Benny from Crossroads. He was meant to be this lovable dimwit, loser type but he was never anything other than annoying to me. He was meant to be funny too of course, he WASN'T. I think the character was just a total failure on all levels and i am being kind here, he really was THAT bad!

Danny Whiting was yet another of Michelle's love interests and by far the most odious of the lot. I am not quite sure what she saw in him. He seemed charming for about 2 episodes before it was made clear he was a complete tit. His wife also made some appearances and she was a horrid cow as well, i'd say this pair deserved each other. Not one of Chelle's better choices of men thats for sure.

Vince was just a poor attempt to replace Darren Roberts, Carmel's brother, who had left only a short time previously. Needless to say the attempt failed and Vince was swiftly axed along with the rest of these no hopers.

Laurie Bates was a love interest for Kathy and a ''rival' for Pete. Well if you enjoy watching paint dry then you would have a good time watching all this play out on screen. It didn't take long for Kathy herself to get bored with him and give him the elbow

The more eagle eyed among you may have noticed that i left one character from the ''89 gang'' off the list, Paul Priestly (Mark Thrippleton) This is because i kind of liked him, or at least i didn't have a major issue with him. While he was hardly a great character i felt he was the best of all the new characters brought in in '89. Given better material he might have possibly been better i think, i would have got rid of the others and kept him on a little longer to test him out on his own. He also felt better integrated than any of the others due to living in the Vic with Frank and Pat. But i think the producer who replaced Gibbon wanted to make a clean break so all of them had to go.

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

Introduced during Diane Butchers homeless storyline in 1991. The storyline was harrowing and i can understand why Disa was brought in for that. She was obnoxious from the get go, but she was probably useful and needed for the story. So had that been all we saw of her i would have been ok with it, but then she turns up in the sq for a while later. When that happens she is even more obnoxious, she is horrible to everyone trying to help her. Dot Diane, Mark, they all try to help her, and go way beyond what a lot of people would do and put up with and she throws it back at them every time. She is needlessly hostile and aggressive at all times and when she finds out about Mark's HIV she becomes an earlier version of Peggy, utterly vile and ignorant. Nasty character

SONIA JACKSON/FOWLER, 1993-

Played by Natalie Cassidy

I'm sorry, i know shes been around for years and she has her fans. I didn't mind her when she was a cheeky little girl (although the trumpet always annoyed me), but as she got older she changed into quite a horrible cow. A character whose answer anytime she is upset or angry is that she shouts and screams her lungs out, usua;ly over silly things like Jamie getting paint on the sofa. While we're on the subject of Jamie, she was horrible to him. Constantly throwing him out, ending it, taking him back, turning violent with him and hitting him in the face at least once. The other thing that annoyed me was that she gave her baby away and then decided she'd changed her mind afterwards so she put the poor adoptive parents through hell, stalking them and eventually snatching Rebecca back. I've never rated Cassidy as an actress, she can ruin good writing and emotional scenes with her OTT yelling and hysterics. No, really not a fan i'm afraid

PEGGY MITCHELL, 1994-2016

Played by Barbara Windsor

Much like Sonia, a controversial choice and probably the most well known and well loved character on this list. I know a lot of people won't like that i put her on a list of ''awful'' characters, but to me she was. I would have liked to see more of Jo Warne in the role rather than this vicious shrew of a woman. Peggy was a narcissist, a bully, ignorant, arrogant, stubborn, overbearing,deluded, short sighted, fake, a hypocrite..i could go on. The way she treated Mark over his HIV was the real Peggy, not the smiles and fake pleasantness she put on, pretending to be nice. All fake, a mask. She wouldn't give Dan Sullivan a fair go in the Vic, she joined in with Phil in sidelining Lisa from her daughters life and the way she refused to have a word said against her precious boys when it was clear they were anything but perfect was irritating. All the ''my Grant'' this and ''my Grant''that when the man was a thug. She treated Sharon abysmally,never forgiving her for sleeping with Phil, but what about everything Sharon had to deal with that drove her into Phil's arms to start with? I always liked how Pauline took no crap from her and if she had only met Lou Beale i think Lou would have pasted her across the walls.

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

Now here is a truly abysmal character, played by a charmless actor. For 2 years Ted was zero entertainment and 100% aggravating. His possessiveness over Sarah was aggravating, his hotheadedness was aggravating, he was as thick as two planks and really the only two people who gave a toss about him were his sister and his daughter, even his own son didn't like him much. His most horrid act would be beating an innocent Robbie Jackson up and nearly killing him, when he thinks he has attacked Sarah, without waiting to get the full facts first. Then when he finds out he got it wrong he does not even have the decency to apologize. He showed no empathy for Carol who of course was distraught, and as a parent himself he should have been able to understand how she felt seeing her son lying in intensive care. Carol showed amazing restraint when she confronted this idiotic thug in the Vic. Hills must have had enough sense at least to realise he was no match for Carol. so he kept his mouth shut and let her own him, about the only sensible thing he ever did. As Phil himself said ''he deserves to go down, he is stupid''

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

The Trevor Short of the '90s, he hung around for far too long doing nothing of interest, adding very little to the show. He also held Lenny back, a character who i feel had a lot more potential than he did and would have been much better without him around to drag him down.

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

This boring cow hung around like an eggy fart, doing absolutely nothing of interest, before finally stitching Sanjay and Gita up and leaving with a black mark against her name. Dull character

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

She could give Hannah Carpenter a run for her money in the miserable, nagging cow stakes. Ok so she was suffering from MS, which is terrible and i felt sorry for her over that, but is there a rule that says you can't retain a positive outlook on life? Is there a rule that says you have to suck the life out of everyone around you and make them as miserable as you are? She simply didn't make for good tv, she would suck the life out of any scene she appeared in. Much like the Hannah actress, Tilly Vosburgh had a total lack of charisma and screen presence. A really depressing character to watch.

CONOR AND MARY FLAHERTY, 1997-1999

Played by Seán Gleeson and Melanie Clark Pullen

I don't think these two are well regarded by anyone. That whole ''irish beales'' era was a low point of the 90s. 1997 was a bit dull all round and these two just made it duller

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

An attempt at another Matriarch but this one did not have the class or the likeability of those who came before her. A control freak who wanted to keep her grandson away from his mother, control her family. Still the whole family was a bit of a failure so maybe i am being unfair to single her out, why not all of them? She wasn't well enough written, wasn't given enough depth to be sympathetic.

MEL HEALY/OWEN, 1998-2002

Played by Tamzin Outhwaite

Sorry, another character who was popular at the time. I was never keen. She did have some good moments here and there (like trying to help Ian out when he went bankrupt despite all that had gone on between them) but mostly i found her irritating. She had a judgemental and holier than thou attitude that got up my nose. She also made some stupid choices, like marrying a man she doesn't love because she thinks his daughter has cancer. Its a ridiculous reason to go through with a marriage, you offer support and friendship not marriage and he was lying anyway! She had poor Steve, a man clearly besotted with her, jumping through hoops for her and nothing was never good enough. Even when the poor guy goes through hell to rescue her from Dan's clutches, even when he is a complete wreck, even when its clear he has not slept for days, its still not enough for her, she burns his club down and leaves him crying in the gutter. She tells Lisa the truth about Dan and the car scam just as Dan was finally getting acceptance and does she honestly think it wouldn't get back to Phil? That Lisa would be able to keep it to herself? Then when it does get back to Phil, ruining the truce, she actually has the nerve to regret it. Should have thought of that before then! When Steve dies i wasn't even convinced she cared too much about it.

There are other characters like Simon Raymond, Alex and Jeff Healy, Mick, Josie and Kim McFarlene, Dr Fonseca, Lily Mattock and Felix whatsit, the boring barber, who are not particularly good characters. But they are more just bland and nondescript rather than outright awful in anyway. Its kind of like they aren't even interesting enough, good or bad enough or annoying enough, to feature on any list, unless its a list of boring characters! They were simply very forgettable characters, they are just there. The characters i listed were all bad or annoying enough in some way to be on the list. Thats just my opinion though of course, I don't see this list as factual because we all have different views on things, i just enjoy giving my thoughts and seeing what people think of it. i am sure there will be some choices that people won't agree with, particularly Peggy
Edited by Sarah Hills, 17 Apr 2017, 20:47.
Seems right somehow that today of all days you should lose your job agaaaaain!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

I don't know how I'd feel if I saw Mary and Conor today (well I saw a bit of Conor - still not a fan) but I just loathed them. Loathed them.

Polly was boring as hell aside from the hair. I remember a lot of dull flirting with Tony at the newspaper office. I actually liked Simon, even though he was probably unbearable to date, so that also made me dislike her.

Ted Hills was miscast. Brian shouldn't have just been a terrifying thug.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sean .S
Member Avatar

I don't find Sonia that bad. Although in her 2004-2006 era, I did find her annoying but I still like her. I didn't really know Ian's dad Pete as I was quite small when he left but from watching past episodes, he was quite annoying. I hated Polly Becker, she was so boring and her boring relationship with Tony Hills.

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

Pete was always an annoying character but it worked very well in the show's first years, as did his bawdy humor and chemistry with Gillian Taylforth. Once the tone of the show changed, and Lou died, and Kathy outgrew him, they should have written him out (I wouldn't have killed him off).

James Bye's Martin is pretty much Pete 2.0, only played by someone who can act.
Edited by Sue Osman, 16 Apr 2017, 21:38.

dan sullivan
Default Avatar

it strikes me a lot of people didnt like pete beale and didnt rate peter deans acting, but looking at old episodes of him, i always thought he was a good character, an ordinary bloke who was a old fashioned and bigoted, but he was believeable as a character and a cornerstone of the show along with frank, pat, arthur and pauline and imo had he stayed longer would be regarded as an ee icon.

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

dan sullivan
16 Apr 2017, 22:05
it strikes me a lot of people didnt like pete beale and didnt rate peter deans acting, but looking at old episodes of him, i always thought he was a good character, an ordinary bloke who was a old fashioned and bigoted, but he was believeable as a character and a cornerstone of the show along with frank, pat, arthur and pauline and imo had he stayed longer would be regarded as an ee icon.
On the one hand I didn't really "like" Pete that much but I do think he was an important character for the Julia Smith era. He was also important to the everyday feel of the show in those years.

I don't think it worked after he split with Kathy.

Shamelessness
Member Avatar

Jaggat was a Sikh, not a sheikh :lol:
Posted Image

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Shamelessness
17 Apr 2017, 11:19
Jaggat was a Sikh, not a sheikh :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

chrishoy77
Member Avatar

How did Mick McFarlane survive as long as he did :unsure:

I thought that Barbara Windsor's early years as Peggy were poor. I'd rather forget that episode about Peggy's birthday in 1996 when Ben was born. But it did sum up that Barbara was playing Barbara and not Peggy. Things got better once they paired her with Frank. I much preferred the character (1999-2003) once Peggy had gone through the mill and had the scars that the Queen Vic gives its owners over time.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

chrishoy77
17 Apr 2017, 14:00
How did Mick McFarlane survive as long as he did :unsure:

He was totally pointless. He would turn up randomly for a few episodes here and there, do nothing of note, and then vanish again until his next pointless appearance.

I didn't think he was awful though, just dull and pointless.

Josie worked in the pub so she should have been more interesting, like a Betty from Corrie kind of supporting character, but she wasn't.
Edited by Sarah Hills, 17 Apr 2017, 19:13.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

I'm rewatching early 1991 now and Disa is just pure scum, one of the most obnoxious characters in EE's entire history. She is so awful that watching Ted Hills on a loop for 10 hours suddenly seems appealing in comparison.

Why Dot, Diane and Mark even give this vile bitch the time of day i cannot understand.

Danny Mitchell
Member Avatar

Sarah Hills
16 Apr 2017, 21:12
For every great character there will always be some awful characters as well. These are some of the characters i really hated from the '80s and '90s, of course its only my opinion and a character i think is terrible someone else might think is great, so i would be very interested in hearing peoples opinions on my choices here. And please don't be offended if i listed a character you like hehe! :)

PETE BEALE, 1985-1993

Played by Peter Dean

Peter Dean couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, that was bad enough, but the fact that Pete really wasn't a particularly likeable character only made matters worse. He was narrow minded, a bigot, a bit of a bully sometimes and also seemed to be somewhat misogynistic. He was most upset when Kathy dared to have a life outside of their marriage and deeply resented her for joining the Samaritans when she was supposed to be at home cooking his dinners for him because he was not capable of doing it for himself. So what we got were thrilling scenes of Petey throwing his toys out the pram and acting like an overgrown, petulant toddler. When Kathy finally had enough and left him he found it hard to accept and turned to alcohol in scenes that i would truly call pathetic. With a more likeable character or a stronger actor you might feel sorry for them, but because he was so bad in both regards i could not give a toss about it. We then got quite a long period where Pete was finding it hard to accept the marriage was over ''I LOVE YA KATH, PLEASE COME BACK TO ME...I WANT US TO TWY AGAIN KATH!''

He lasted much longer than he should have by at least 3 or 4 years. Julia Smith wanted to kill him off on the first Christmas but later changed her mind, so clearly she was not too delighted with him either. But having said that i have to admit he did have his moments (after Willmott-Brown raped Kathy, scenes with Kenny and Pat over Simon's parentage) and he was quite sinister during the storyline where Dot enlists his help to lock Nick in the bedroom. So clearly he was not without merit, but for a character that lasted over 8 years, those good moments are a bit too few and far between for my liking

Played by Sally Sagoe

Absolutely detestable character. I can't think of one good thing to say about this horrible cow of a woman. She was a ghastly snob, a nagging wife. She had a face as miserable as sin. Everytime she appeared on screen it was to nag at Tony or moan about how she hated Walford and how beneath her it was, or stick her nose in other peoples business. These types of characters can be very entertaining with the right actors playing them and if they are written well. But Hannah Carpenter was just a boring cow of a woman, the actress had no charisma in the role and no screen presence. Very much a weak link of '80s EE

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

The obnoxious member of ''the banned'' who was one of those ''the whole world sucks and the world owes me a living'' type characters. Constantly had a face like there was a bad smell under his nose, when the only thing that stunk was this dreadful character and the awful actor playing him. Like Hannah Carpenter, there is literally nothing positive i can say about this character, other than that thankfully his time in the show was pretty short

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

Naima's cousin and a man with a serious attitude problem. Came in like a bull in a china shop trying to take over Naima's shop (and her life too it seemed) when she had been doing fine on her own. ''He's a Sikh!'' was his catchphrase, he would cry it out constantly over his dismay at Naima dating Dr Jaggat Singh. She would respond by, quite rightly, telling him to mind his own business and that she didn't care that Jaggat was a Sikh

The ghastly husband of Carmel, a violent thug. Why he was the way he was was never really explored but he was basically just one of those characters who beats the woman up and then says ''sorry i won't do it again'' afterwards, and then does it again and the cycle repeats. Steven Hartley played him well and he was genuinely terrifying when he lost it, but i found it uncomfortable to watch. I know soaps, and particularly EE during that time, would tackle hard hitting subjects but i never enjoy watching domestic violence (and that includes when its the woman doing it to the man too, or when it was Phil or Grant doing it) I never really found Matthew likeable, even when he was being ''nice'' either. Carmel's brother Darren took an instant dislike to the man when he first met him and i think i did too

MARGE GREEN, JULIE COOPER, TREVOR SHORT, DANNY WHITING, VINCE JOHNSON, LAURIE BATES, 1989-1990

Played by Pat Coombs, Louise Plowright, Phil McDermott, Saul Jephcott, Hepburn Graham, Gary Powell

Yeah i'm just going to lump all these characters together, seeing as they were all introduced around the same time and then all hastily axed around the same time too. These characters were all introduced by then producer Mike Gibbon who wanted to bring more comedy into the show as he felt it was too depressing. None of these characters worked and i remain horrified that we had to lose Guizin and Mehmet to make way for them. While the first half of '89 was very strong, the second half was weak and most of the blame for that lies with these characters. None of them ever really felt like they fitted in or were integrated well with the rest of the characters.

Marge was just annoying and unfunny, she felt like a Coronation Street character, like a Mavis Wilton type character. Infact most of these characters felt like Corrie characters Julie was unremarkable and only really started to get slightly more interesting just before she left (which is often the case) when she got involved with the Mitchell brothers during their earliest time in the show. Trevor was incredibly annoying, .like a poor mans Benny from Crossroads. He was meant to be this lovable dimwit, loser type but he was never anything other than annoying to me. He was meant to be funny too of course, he WASN'T. I think the character was just a total failure on all levels and i am being kind here, he really was THAT bad!

Danny Whiting was yet another of Michelle's love interests and by far the most odious of the lot. I am not quite sure what she saw in him. He seemed charming for about 2 episodes before it was made clear he was a complete tit. His wife also made some appearances and she was a horrid cow as well, i'd say this pair deserved each other. Not one of Chelle's better choices of men thats for sure.

Vince was just a poor attempt to replace Darren Roberts, Carmel's brother, who had left only a short time previously. Needless to say the attempt failed and Vince was swiftly axed along with the rest of these no hopers.

Laurie Bates was a love interest for Kathy and a ''rival' for Pete. Well if you enjoy watching paint dry then you would have a good time watching all this play out on screen. It didn't take long for Kathy herself to get bored with him and give him the elbow

The more eagle eyed among you may have noticed that i left one character from the ''89 gang'' off the list, Paul Priestly (Mark Thrippleton) This is because i kind of liked him, or at least i didn't have a major issue with him. While he was hardly a great character i felt he was the best of all the new characters brought in in '89. Given better material he might have possibly been better i think, i would have got rid of the others and kept him on a little longer to test him out on his own. He also felt better integrated than any of the others due to living in the Vic with Frank and Pat. But i think the producer who replaced Gibbon wanted to make a clean break so all of them had to go.

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

Introduced during Diane Butchers homeless storyline in 1991. The storyline was harrowing and i can understand why Disa was brought in for that. She was obnoxious from the get go, but she was probably useful and needed for the story. So had that been all we saw of her i would have been ok with it, but then she turns up in the sq for a while later. When that happens she is even more obnoxious, she is horrible to everyone trying to help her. Dot Diane, Mark, they all try to help her, and go way beyond what a lot of people would do and put up with and she throws it back at them every time. She is needlessly hostile and aggressive at all times and when she finds out about Mark's HIV she becomes an earlier version of Peggy, utterly vile and ignorant. Nasty character

I'm sorry, i know shes been around for years and she has her fans. I didn't mind her when she was a cheeky little girl (although the trumpet always annoyed me), but as she got older she changed into quite a horrible cow. A character whose answer anytime she is upset or angry is that she shouts and screams her lungs out, usua;ly over silly things like Jamie getting paint on the sofa. While we're on the subject of Jamie, she was horrible to him. Constantly throwing him out, ending it, taking him back, turning violent with him and hitting him in the face at least once. The other thing that annoyed me was that she gave her baby away and then decided she'd changed her mind afterwards so she put the poor adoptive parents through hell, stalking them and eventually snatching Rebecca back. I've never rated Cassidy as an actress, she can ruin good writing and emotional scenes with her OTT yelling and hysterics. No, really not a fan i'm afraid

Much like Sonia, a controversial choice and probably the most well known and well loved character on this list. I know a lot of people won't like that i put her on a list of ''awful'' characters, but to me she was. I would have liked to see more of Jo Warne in the role rather than this vicious shrew of a woman. Peggy was a narcissist, a bully, ignorant, arrogant, stubborn, overbearing,deluded, short sighted, fake, a hypocrite..i could go on. The way she treated Mark over his HIV was the real Peggy, not the smiles and fake pleasantness she put on, pretending to be nice. All fake, a mask. She wouldn't give Dan Sullivan a fair go in the Vic, she joined in with Phil in sidelining Lisa from her daughters life and the way she refused to have a word said against her precious boys when it was clear they were anything but perfect was irritating. All the ''my Grant'' this and ''my Grant''that when the man was a thug. She treated Sharon abysmally,never forgiving her for sleeping with Phil, but what about everything Sharon had to deal with that drove her into Phil's arms to start with? I always liked how Pauline took no crap from her and if she had only met Lou Beale i think Lou would have pasted her across the walls.

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

Now here is a truly abysmal character, played by a charmless actor. For 2 years Ted was zero entertainment and 100% aggravating. His possessiveness over Sarah was aggravating, his hotheadedness was aggravating, he was as thick as two planks and really the only two people who gave a toss about him were his sister and his daughter, even his own son didn't like him much. His most horrid act would be beating an innocent Robbie Jackson up and nearly killing him, when he thinks he has attacked Sarah, without waiting to get the full facts first. Then when he finds out he got it wrong he does not even have the decency to apologize. He showed no empathy for Carol who of course was distraught, and as a parent himself he should have been able to understand how she felt seeing her son lying in intensive care. Carol showed amazing restraint when she confronted this idiotic thug in the Vic. Hills must have had enough sense at least to realise he was no match for Carol. so he kept his mouth shut and let her own him, about the only sensible thing he ever did. As Phil himself said ''he deserves to go down, he is stupid''

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

The Trevor Short of the '90s, he hung around for far too long doing nothing of interest, adding very little to the show. He also held Lenny back, a character who i feel had a lot more potential than he did and would have been much better without him around to drag him down.

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

This boring cow hung around like an eggy fart, doing absolutely nothing of interest, before finally stitching Sanjay and Gita up and leaving with a black mark against her name. Dull character

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

She could give Hannah Carpenter a run for her money in the miserable, nagging cow stakes. Ok so she was suffering from MS, which is terrible and i felt sorry for her over that, but is there a rule that says you can't retain a positive outlook on life? Is there a rule that says you have to suck the life out of everyone around you and make them as miserable as you are? She simply didn't make for good tv, she would suck the life out of any scene she appeared in. Much like the Hannah actress, Tilly Vosburgh had a total lack of charisma and screen presence. A really depressing character to watch.

I don't think these two are well regarded by anyone. That whole ''irish beales'' era was a low point of the 90s. 1997 was a bit dull all round and these two just made it duller

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

An attempt at another Matriarch but this one did not have the class or the likeability of those who came before her. A control freak who wanted to keep her grandson away from his mother, control her family. Still the whole family was a bit of a failure so maybe i am being unfair to single her out, why not all of them? She wasn't well enough written, wasn't given enough depth to be sympathetic.

Sorry, another character who was popular at the time. I was never keen. She did have some good moments here and there (like trying to help Ian out when he went bankrupt despite all that had gone on between them) but mostly i found her irritating. She had a judgemental and holier than thou attitude that got up my nose. She also made some stupid choices, like marrying a man she doesn't love because she thinks his daughter has cancer. Its a ridiculous reason to go through with a marriage, you offer support and friendship not marriage and he was lying anyway! She had poor Steve, a man clearly besotted with her, jumping through hoops for her and nothing was never good enough. Even when the poor guy goes through hell to rescue her from Dan's clutches, even when he is a complete wreck, even when its clear he has not slept for days, its still not enough for her, she burns his club down and leaves him crying in the gutter. She tells Lisa the truth about Dan and the car scam just as Dan was finally getting acceptance and does she honestly think it wouldn't get back to Phil? That Lisa would be able to keep it to herself? Then when it does get back to Phil, ruining the truce, she actually has the nerve to regret it. Should have thought of that before then! When Steve dies i wasn't even convinced she cared too much about it.

There are other characters like Simon Raymond, Alex and Jeff Healy, Mick, Josie and Kim McFarlene, Dr Fonseca, Lily Mattock and Felix whatsit, the boring barber, who are not particularly good characters. But they are more just bland and nondescript rather than outright awful in anyway. Its kind of like they aren't even interesting enough, good or bad enough or annoying enough, to feature on any list, unless its a list of boring characters! They were simply very forgettable characters, they are just there. The characters i listed were all bad or annoying enough in some way to be on the list. Thats just my opinion though of course, I don't see this list as factual because we all have different views on things, i just enjoy giving my thoughts and seeing what people think of it. i am sure there will be some choices that people won't agree with, particularly Peggy
I thought Melanie was okay up until Yorke took over. She seemed like she was or tried to mostly be a nice person. She was good to her dad, brother and Lisa most of the time. Even though I agree with the faults you mentioned with the marriage to Ian etc, I thought she still retained some likability to an extent. But as soon as she found out Steve paid Ian £10,000 to divorce her (obviously she was right to feel weird about this) she used this to justify her upcoming abhorrent behaviour. She has an absolute personality transplant which we hadn't really seen much of hitherto this moment. She becomes incredibly smug and starts throwing herself at men, even if they repluse her like Billy, just to prove she can get anyone she wants. She, as you stated, looks her nose down at everyone. She was a lot more empathetic and warm, despite her faults, before this, but this sudden change was quite severe, I thought.
'Oi Martin, you want a knife and fork, son, you can really tuck in then.' - Garry Hobbs
'Glad to see the back of her, I was getting bored' - Den Watts
'Cor look at the state of that. See you in the morning then, boys.' - Grant Mitchell
'Sauage surprise? Yeah what was that surprising about it, mum? We used to have it about five times a week, you should call it sausage predictable.' - Sean Slater

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Danny Mitchell
5 Dec 2017, 18:04
Sarah Hills

PETE BEALE, 1985-1993

Played by Peter Dean

Played by Sally Sagoe

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

I thought Melanie was okay up until Yorke took over. She seemed like she was or tried to mostly be a nice person. She was good to her dad, brother and Lisa most of the time. Even though I agree with the faults you mentioned with the marriage to Ian etc, I thought she still retained some likability to an extent. But as soon as she found out Steve paid Ian £10,000 to divorce her (obviously she was right to feel weird about this) she used this to justify her upcoming abhorrent behaviour. She has an absolute personality transplant which we hadn't really seen much of hitherto this moment. She becomes incredibly smug and starts throwing herself at men, even if they repluse her like Billy, just to prove she can get anyone she wants. She, as you stated, looks her nose down at everyone. She was a lot more empathetic and warm, despite her faults, before this, but this sudden change was quite severe, I thought.
I really didn't like the way she treated Steve. Nothing he did for her was ever good enough, she always found a fault somewhere and had him jumping through hoops for her.

But the very worst thing she ever did was being responsible for reigniting the Dan feud with Phil and Frank (by telling Lisa about what Dan did) just as things had started to settle down and Dan was being accepted at the Vic. She even has the nerve to regret it after. She also loves hanging out with the bad boys but constantly whines about their behaviour. She was kidding herself, she loved every second and would even provoke them more.

Danny Mitchell
Member Avatar

Sarah Hills
5 Dec 2017, 18:09
Danny Mitchell
5 Dec 2017, 18:04

Quoting limited to 2 levels deepPETE BEALE, 1985-1993

Played by Peter Dean

Played by Sally Sagoe

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

I really didn't like the way she treated Steve. Nothing he did for her was ever good enough, she always found a fault somewhere and had him jumping through hoops for her.

But the very worst thing she ever did was being responsible for reigniting the Dan feud with Phil and Frank (by telling Lisa about what Dan did) just as things had started to settle down and Dan was being accepted at the Vic. She even has the nerve to regret it after. She also loves hanging out with the bad boys but constantly whines about their behaviour. She was kidding herself, she loved every second and would even provoke them more.
Oh yes, of course! I forgot that the Dan stuff was before what I mentioned. Yes, that's where I begun to properly dislike her. And the treatment of Steve was habitually deplorable.
'Oi Martin, you want a knife and fork, son, you can really tuck in then.' - Garry Hobbs
'Cor look at the state of that. See you in the morning then, boys.' - Grant Mitchell
'Sauage surprise? Yeah what was that surprising about it, mum? We used to have it about five times a week, you should call it sausage predictable.' - Sean Slater

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Danny Mitchell
5 Dec 2017, 18:20
Sarah Hills
5 Dec 2017, 18:09

Played by Peter Dean

Played by Sally Sagoe

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

Oh yes, of course! I forgot that the Dan stuff was before what I mentioned. Yes, that's where I begun to properly dislike her. And the treatment of Steve was habitually deplorable.
It was absolutely totally cruel that after Steve has gone through hell trying to rescue her from Dan she burns his club down and leaves him crying in the gutter. Nothing he did was so bad that he deserved to be treated like that.

Danny Mitchell
Member Avatar

Sarah Hills
5 Dec 2017, 18:23
Danny Mitchell
5 Dec 2017, 18:20

Played by Peter Dean

Played by Sally Sagoe

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

It was absolutely totally cruel that after Steve has gone through hell trying to rescue her from Dan she burns his club down and leaves him crying in the gutter. Nothing he did was so bad that he deserved to be treated like that.
That is absolutely true. It'll be intriguing to see how she is presented upon her return.

Ingrid S
Member Avatar

Sarah Hills

PETE BEALE, 1985-1993

Played by Peter Dean

Played by Sally Sagoe

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

I've only been watching regularly since 2000 but have seen a lot of episodes from the 80s and 90s, and half of those I've never even heard of!
Used to be Dan S. Then Derek H. But since Derek has sadly departed, am now Ingrid S, in tribute to my now favourite character.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Derek H
6 Dec 2017, 00:26
Sarah Hills

PETE BEALE, 1985-1993

Played by Peter Dean

Played by Sally Sagoe

HARRY REYNOLDS, 1986

Played by Gareth Potter

REZAUL GABIR, 1986-1988

Played by Tanveer Ghani

DISA O'BRIEN, 1990-1991

Played by Jan Graveson

TED HILLS, 1995-1997

Played by Brian Croucher

HUW EDWARDS, 1996-1999

Played by Riichard Elis

POLLY BECKER, 1997-1998

Played by Victoria Gould

SUSAN ROSE, 1997-1999

Played by Tilly Vosburgh

ROSA DI MARCO, 1998-2000

Played by Louise Jameson

I've only been watching regularly since 2000 but have seen a lot of episodes from the 80s and 90s, and half of those I've never even heard of!
Believe me you didn't miss much, all of these characters were abysmal.

The only ones on my list that have ever been well loved are Mel, Sonia, definitely Peggy and, to an extent, Pete. The rest offered very little to the show. The 4 i mention i admit had their moments but overall i never liked them.

I seem to be the only member of the forums who likes doing this type of thing. I'd be happy to see others do it as well. In the end its all opinions and i'd love hearing other peoples views on worst characters.

Fanny_Arbuckle
Member Avatar

The actor who played Trevor Short really was stupendously bad. He was meant to be a comedy character, but there was absolutely nothing funny about him. Delivery, timing, acting, presence, chemistry with co-stars - the actor had none of this. I always wondered if they originally wanted to portray a modern day scenario not unlike 'Of Mice and Men' with Trevor and Paul. I think that could have been a complex and interesting story, having Trevor actually portray someone with a learning disability and a co-dependent sort of relationship with a more cognitively able peer. But I think I am giving them too much credit. All they ever wanted to do was play Trevor as stupid for laughs. Except no one was actually laughing. Paul Priestly wasn't played by a brilliant actor either. It was like they wanted to replicate Nick Berry in northern form. But maybe he would have been more if it wasn't for the pairing with awful Trev.

Poor Mo Butcher, who is an often forgotten but awesome battle-ax, got lumbered with Trevor. Waste of Edna Dore's talents. She also got dappy Marge (who I will admit I have more of a soft spot for, but more so because Pat Coombs did one of the voices of Playbox that I used to watch as a tot).
Why they decided on having Leslie Schofield return as the insipid Jeff Healy, when he could have come back as the awesome Brian Wicks, I will never know.
Special mentions to Cassie Carpenter and The Karims...
EE were one of the first soaps to include regular characters of ethnic minorities. But that doesnt mean to say they did them justice. For the most part it was pure tokenism.

Mick, Kim and Josie McFarlane and Gus Smith, Pretti, Lenny, Blossom Jackson, Li Chong, Ray Dixon, the majority of the Taverniers, the Karims, Della and Steve Elliot (who fared a bit better in storyline, but just about).

Even some of the more prominent non-white character just had the one or odd storyline but were mostly just there. Clyde and Hattie were popular and featured a lot, but they weren't given a great deal to do. Jules, while popular, was only ever supporting.
Edited by Fanny_Arbuckle, 6 Dec 2017, 02:30.

NevermindMe
Default Avatar

Fanny_Arbuckle
6 Dec 2017, 02:15
The actor who played Trevor Short really was stupendously bad. He was meant to be a comedy character, but there was absolutely nothing funny about him. Delivery, timing, acting, presence, chemistry with co-stars - the actor had none of this. I always wondered if they originally wanted to portray a modern day scenario not unlike 'Of Mice and Men' with Trevor and Paul. I think that could have been a complex and interesting story, having Trevor actually portray someone with a learning disability and a co-dependent sort of relationship with a more cognitively able peer. But I think I am giving them too much credit. All they ever wanted to do was play Trevor as stupid for laughs. Except no one was actually laughing. Paul Priestly wasn't played by a brilliant actor either. It was like they wanted to replicate Nick Berry in northern form. But maybe he would have been more if it wasn't for the pairing with awful Trev.

Poor Mo Butcher, who is an often forgotten but awesome battle-ax, got lumbered with Trevor. Waste of Edna Dore's talents. She also got dappy Marge (who I will admit I have more of a soft spot for, but more so because Pat Coombs did one of the voices of Playbox that I used to watch as a tot).
Why they decided on having Leslie Schofield return as the insipid Jeff Healy, when he could have come back as the awesome Brian Wicks, I will never know.
Special mentions to Cassie Carpenter and The Karims...
EE were one of the first soaps to include regular characters of ethnic minorities. But that doesnt mean to say they did them justice. For the most part it was pure tokenism.

Mick, Kim and Josie McFarlane and Gus Smith, Pretti, Lenny, Blossom Jackson, Li Chong, Ray Dixon, the majority of the Taverniers, the Karims, Della and Steve Elliot (who fared a bit better in storyline, but just about).

Even some of the more prominent non-white character just had the one or odd storyline but were mostly just there. Clyde and Hattie were popular and featured a lot, but they weren't given a great deal to do. Jules, while popular, was only ever supporting.
Jules, supporting?!

Anyone who gets mugged by Emma Bunton is a major player!

He was also the original Lauren Branning - revealing the affair of Arthur and Mrs Hewitt kissing in the Square by accidentally catching them on his cam corder trial when he screened his experience to residents in the car lot 😂

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · EastEnders Past · Next Topic »
Add Reply