Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Walford Web, the online home of EastEnders' discussion since 1997. We cover EastEnders news, discussion and spoilers. Join the discussion and make your voice heard! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're wondering what EastEnders is, click here to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
See You Slater's Big EastEnders Rewatch
Topic Started: 11 Feb 2018, 15:53 (64,736 Views)
See You Slater
Member Avatar

I'm always dipping in and out of random years from the show's history, a month of 1989 here, a month of 2005 there, with never any sense of order or purpose other than rewatching some of the highlights of some of the golden years of the soap that I love so much.

So, rather than continue to float around aimlessly in the EastEnders archive just watching random episodes - going from one where Lucy Beale has just been murdered to watching one where she's still a little girl, I've decided to set myself a challenge. I'm going to watch a year chronologically, no jumping around, from start to finish and I'm going to review every episode of the year in this thread.

I've chosen to start with... 2001, because, well, it made sense. The producer of the time is back in charge now, a lot of the characters from that time period are returning or have returned already and in my opinion it's the best year of the show of all time, so it felt like a natural place for me to start this challenge.

I may do other years once I've completed 2001, but I haven't decided which one yet.

Hopefully this thread will prove to be an interesting read!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Get Outta My Pub
Member Avatar

When I saw the thread title, I thought it meant you were starting from the beginning but I'm excited to read your thoughts either way, SYS!

See You Slater
Member Avatar

Get Outta My Pub
11 Feb 2018, 16:08
When I saw the thread title, I thought it meant you were starting from the beginning but I'm excited to read your thoughts either way, SYS!
I would love to do that one day. Maybe when I'm retired and have infinite hours to just binge the show from the start! :D
Posted Image

MrJames
Member Avatar

How, might I ask, are you able to watch all the old episodes?

See You Slater
Member Avatar

1st January 2001

Posted Image

The first scene of the year sees Phil being mean to Lisa, which is a recurring theme throughout the whole year. Is it any wonder she shoots him in two months from now? You go girl! It’s strange to see how similar the characterisation of Phil is now to how it was back then. He’s rude, hypocritical and nasty. He’s lecturing Lisa on getting drunk, on New Year’s Eve, how dare she! Already as a character Phil feels tired and repetitive so it’s strange to think that this character is stuck in this same loop seventeen years later.

There’s some great scenes in this episode with Mark and Martin. It’s strange seeing James Alexandrou in a role that James Bye has since made his own, but considering he was only a teenager at the time James does a great job, I’d forgotten how enjoyable he was to watch.

Mark is such a brilliantly nuanced character and in just thirty minutes of drama, we see two very different sides of him. He plays the caring and concerned brother very well, a great every man character. His presence is sorely missed right now, a true guiding light for Martin of 2018 to listen to and look up to. They’ve had many every man characters since Mark but they’re mostly used as props to drink pints and talk about football when there’s airtime that needs filling. Mark feels different. He’s a three dimensional character rather than a 2D character trope.

Wanting revenge on Nick for what he did to Martin, Mark shows his darker side, complimented brilliantly by the red lighting, and coerces Nick up onto the train track. After recreating Leonardo Di Caprio in Titanic, Mark plays the devil and tells a drunk Nick to reflect on his sins. We’re treated to some awful slow mo (nothing changed there!) as Nick falls off the bridge.

Also in this episode, Laura cracks a rare smile and Ian tells her he hates optimists. So, it’s his fault that she’s a moody bitch for the rest of her stint. There’s also some brilliant Peggy and Pat scenes, although on a rewatch Barbara Windsor’s acting talents are… questionable, to say the least.

Episode Rating: 9/10

Star of the show: Mark Fowler

Posted Image

Get Outta My Pub
Member Avatar

After I've seen you post a few reviews, I may be tempted to join in and put the episodes on too! :P

See You Slater
Member Avatar

MrJames
11 Feb 2018, 16:22
I'll PM you! :)
Posted Image

TellyAddict
Member Avatar

My absolute favourite thing about Nick falling will forever be Mick McFarlane just standing there saying “Jeeeeeeeez!”

Loving this idea by the way. I’m perched for your reviews.
Posted Image

See You Slater
Member Avatar

Get Outta My Pub
11 Feb 2018, 16:26
After I've seen you post a few reviews, I may be tempted to join in and put the episodes on too! :P
You should! It's a classic year!
Posted Image

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

2001 is the first full calendar year I was watching EastEnders so I'm more than interested in seeing it fully revisited.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

See You Slater
Member Avatar

TellyAddict
11 Feb 2018, 16:36
My absolute favourite thing about Nick falling will forever be Mick McFarlane just standing there saying “Jeeeeeeeez!”

Loving this idea by the way. I’m perched for your reviews.
No sense of urgency or anything. He literally just stands still. :D

Jamie Fowler
11 Feb 2018, 16:40
2001 is the first full calendar year I was watching EastEnders so I'm more than interested in seeing it fully revisited.
It's strange watching as some of the stuff I literally had no clue happened. Obviously the big stuff sticks in the brain but the smaller stories don't so I'm enjoying watching it again!
Edited by See You Slater, 11 Feb 2018, 16:56.
Posted Image

*Betty*
Member Avatar

See You Slater
11 Feb 2018, 16:35
MrJames
Can that drop it's way into my inbox too please...
Posted Image

See You Slater
Member Avatar

2nd January 2001

Posted Image

After watching Nick fall of the bridge, Mick (surprisingly, not Mick Carter, although I wouldn’t put it past them to decide Danny Dyer isn’t being used enough so start inserting him into scenes of the past) has to run all the way to Dot’s to call the ambulance because nobody had a mobile phone back then. It’s strange to see Dot at number 43, as these days she’s so synonymous with number 25. Also strange is seeing June Brown doing acting outside. Forget the lack of mobile phones, that’s how you know we’re watching an old episode.

Lisa, glass of wine in hand, is delighted at the prospect of some drama out on the Square so acts as the town crier and wakes up the whole of the Mitchell house. Phil is mean to her again. She was only trying to make sure you didn’t miss out on the juicy Square gossip Philip!

Nick’s legs feel all heavy when he wakes up after his fall. We’re in for another “never walk again” storyline. Of course, we know that he recovers eventually so that he can terrorise the Square with a chair leg in the café. Still, it adds a bit more drama to the story. Probably still bitter that his recreation of Titanic has seen him paralysed in hospital, Nick tells Dot that he was pushed off the bridge by Mark. It’s less embarrassing than admitting he fell after pretending to be Leo, I suppose.

Dot and Ashley gather at Nick’s bedside and it makes me sad that seventeen years later Dot is pretty much alone, apart from Sonia and Robbie. Bring back Charlie Cotton!

Martin drops a big bombshell on Pauline, he is the father of Bex Chloe after all. Thankfully Pauline will be bludgeoned to death before she has to witness the worst of Bex Chloe, when she discovers her passion for “singing” in future years.

Zoe Slater floats around working on the stall in the background, we all know she doesn’t do anything important this year, at all. She does however wear the worst hat of all time throughout the winter months, rivalling some of Aunt Babe’s.

Episode Rating: 8/10

Star of the show: Zoe Slater’s hat

Posted Image

Leon
Member Avatar

See You Slater
MrJames
Me three, please! :D

*Betty*
Member Avatar

I'm gripped by the reviews.
Posted Image

Jamie Fowler
Member Avatar

The way Phil treats poor Lisa is so awful, I can barely make it through the scenes to this day. I hate this man.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kim
Default Avatar

Leon
11 Feb 2018, 17:07
See You Slater

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Me three, please! :D
I wouldn't mind knowing too if that's ok.

Did have some episodes taped from UK Gold back when they used to show old episodes there, but my video player has packed in. No mobiles in 2001 and no video players on sale in 2018 it seems :lol:

Angie's Den
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Noddy Slater: Kat's secret daughter.
Posted Image

Nova
Member Avatar

Hi where can you watch them online, if you could pm I appreciate it. This is a great idea btw.
Edited by Nova, 11 Feb 2018, 17:40.

Ross
Member Avatar
I'm in the kitchen eating a biscuit
See You Slater
MrJames
Any chance of getting that PM too, please? :)
Massive thanks to NickM for this wonderful signature! :)

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · EastEnders Past · Next Topic »
Add Reply