Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Walford Web, the online home of EastEnders' discussion since 1997. We cover EastEnders news, discussion and spoilers. Join the discussion and make your voice heard! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're wondering what EastEnders is, click here to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sharon
Topic Started: 12 Jun 2018, 20:11 (12,579 Views)
McFudd
Member Avatar

I know everyone hates her but they have ruined one of their original characters and she is the most unlikeable character!!

Serious question but are we supposed to hate her cos they’re writing her like a nasty selfish bitch and do the writers hate Sharon?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MrSunshine
Member Avatar

I think it's maybe a case of tptb think she can get away with saying/being horrible because she's generally popular with the wider audience? It's an attempt to make Mel more sympathetic.

They do the same with Stacey and Kat. They make them unlikable bitches to prop up Hayley or Alfie. I think it's because they know viewers will forgive them.

SteveOwen
Member Avatar

MrSunshine
12 Jun 2018, 20:19
I think it's maybe a case of tptb think she can get away with saying/being horrible because she's generally popular with the wider audience? It's an attempt to make Mel more sympathetic.

They do the same with Stacey and Kat. They make them unlikable bitches to prop up Hayley or Alfie. I think it's because they know viewers will forgive them.
Really?!😆

MrSunshine
Member Avatar

SteveOwen
12 Jun 2018, 20:20
MrSunshine

Really?!😆
Not with me but maybe with the wider audience? :lol:

She's been on the show since day 1. She must still have her fans.

McFudd
Member Avatar

MrSunshine

But Sharon isn’t popular with the general public cos a lot of viewers don’t like her nasty behaviour. They’re trashing her to make Mel more sympathetic but they shouldn’t ruin her again so we can feel sorry for Mel.

Yeah Kat was a bitch to Hayley but she redeemed herself when Kat left to visit Little Mo.
Posted Image

MrSunshine
Member Avatar

McFudd
12 Jun 2018, 20:24
MrSunshine

But Sharon isn’t popular with the general public cos a lot of viewers don’t like her nasty behaviour. They’re trashing her to make Mel more sympathetic but they shouldn’t ruin her again so we can feel sorry for Mel.

Yeah Kat was a bitch to Hayley but she redeemed herself when Kat left to visit Little Mo.
If she wasn't popular she wouldn't have been brought back so many times.

It's just a lazy way of making the audience sympathise for another character. Nothing more.

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

I already said this in the episode thread, but:

I don't think the show has any real idea of boundaries for most characters and hasn't in a while. I think the show is more interested in what is seen as "strong" or "weak." I don't think Yorke is fond of Sharon, but I don't sense the blatant contempt for her that was there in SOC's era. I think this is someone's idea of a Phil-esque, bad-ass comment from her that we will be shocked by but see as tough banter.

It's difficult for me to even know how to react to these characters. After Kat sexually assaulted an old man, I told myself I would either just have to blame that on the show, not her, or never be able to watch any of her scenes again.

Unless I am already completely sick of the character or never really liked them much anyway, that's what I have to end up doing most of the time.

To add onto this, I think generally unlikeable characters is a huge problem with Eastenders and has been for a number of years now. Now that the show is being so clumsily blatant in playing favorites, with other characters practically turning to the camera and begging viewers to feel a certain way about whatever pet is on that day (Mel, Callum, Keegan, Hayley, etc.) it's just gotten even worse.
Edited by Sue Osman, 12 Jun 2018, 20:29.

Slater11
Member Avatar

Awful writing/characterisation simples and I can't stand Sharon, but she isn't the only character being let down in terms of this.

I find Ian to be the most unlikeable character...

Shazza
Member Avatar

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I do believe that things are brewing for Sharon.

SteveOwen
Member Avatar

Slater11
12 Jun 2018, 20:41
Awful writing/characterisation simples and I can't stand Sharon, but she isn't the only character being let down in terms of this.

I find Ian to be the most unlikeable character...
Ian’s current characterisation and development is bizarre.

Lord Les
Member Avatar

Shazza
12 Jun 2018, 20:46
Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I do believe that things are brewing for Sharon.
Haven’t we thought that for years?

Axe
Default Avatar

I thought Ian was really good last week. He should be the Square's patriarch. It's mostly in the scenes with Masood where he is poorly written.

As for Sharon, I haven't seen her previous stints but I've seen almost all of this current one and I don't rate her at all. It seems to me like she's had her day.
Edited by Axe, 12 Jun 2018, 21:00.

SteveOwen
Member Avatar

Axe
12 Jun 2018, 20:55
I thought Ian was really good last week. He should be the Square's patriarch. It's mostly in the scenes with Masood where he is poorly written.

As for Sharon, I haven't seen her previous stints but I've seen almost all of this current one and I don't rate her at all. It seems to me like she's had her day.
Sharon used to probably be the definitive EastEnders character. So much so that people were actually gutted at her departure in 2006 and consistently called for her to return until Letitia Dean did so in 2012.

I personally never watched either of Sharon’s first two stints at the time but I can only imagine how disappointed her old school fans must be in her characterisation over the last six years.

The character is just a lose cause and no producer knows what to do with her. Such a shame.

The Square
Default Avatar

Lord Les
12 Jun 2018, 20:53
Shazza
12 Jun 2018, 20:46
Haven’t we thought that for years?
Basically since she came back for this most recent stint...

Glorificus
Member Avatar

As I mentioned In today's episode thread, Sharon has no motivations as a character anymore and is just there to have unnecessary cat-fights or feuds with Mel/Rainie/random Female character in show.

As for being popular with the wider public I'm sure she still has some fans, she has a followilling, a lot of GIFs are made about her, her expressions etc, casual viewers probably think she is a bitch unfortunately. I'm a fan mostly for her character 89-95, & 01-05.

The writers should just go all out and turn her into a superbitch and OWN it.

Sue Osman
Member Avatar

Axe
The atrocious way he has treated his children is what killed him for me. And that continues to be ignored in the writing.

Axe
Default Avatar

Sue Osman
12 Jun 2018, 21:11
Axe
The atrocious way he has treated his children is what killed him for me. And that continues to be ignored in the writing.
Everything to do with Steven was so badly written I almost don't count it.

Ian's lack of care for Peter's current well being is definitely a black mark on a character who I think works best as a family man.

Ethel the Cat
Member Avatar

The writers must hate her because they haven't stopped writing her awfully(save for a few scenes every now and then) for years. To be completely honest though, the actual quality of the show's writing has been decreasing ever since the 2010s and it's shame they decided to bring Sharon back during that period of time. I wish she never came back in 2012.
Heather slaps Denise

Supreme Fox
Member Avatar

Sharon has alot of nasty moments and has been paralysed by terrible writting but if I'm honest, her nasty streak is no diiferent to the likes of Janine, Ian, Stacey (at times), Mel, Kat, Max, Shirley, Keegan or Phil.

This is not a crticism on anyone on this website but I find it hard to understand how some members can single Sharon out for how nasty she is but the same members are begging for Janine to return. To me it feels like a contradiction. Like I said it's not a criticism to anyone, I mention it because it's something I have really struggled to get my head around. And I like both characters btw.

I think Sharon like Phil, Ian and Stacey to an extent is pretty much part of the EE fabric. These characters can pretty much say what they like and they will still have an abundance of people rooting for them.

I agree Sharon has been completely vile recently but her behaviour doesn't really stand out from anyone elses vile behaviour.

I also think due to Letitia's natural campness and off beat delivery, whenever she is being vile or nasty I find it hard to take her seriously . Her nastiness doesn't come across as vile or as sharp or as piercing or as cutting to say someone like Phil, Mel, Shirley or even Stacey. Not saying that those characters are worse in their behaviour but they sell their nastiness far more effectively than Letitia does, so when Sharon is being vile I'm hardly phased by it and at most times find myself laughing AT her rather than being horrified by anything she's said. She provides her own cushion to her own blows by the manner in which she delivers the dialogue and by the physicality of how she carries out her vile tasks. It never penetrates as profoundly as it should or as much as it would if the same actions were carried out by some of the other characters.

I agree she is pretty unlikeable at the moment but no more than the usual suspects.
Edited by Supreme Fox, 12 Jun 2018, 23:03.
Posted Image

Axe
Default Avatar

I don't think unlikeability is the biggest problem with Sharon. She seems pointless, directionless and quite dated and has done for over 5 years, at least to me anyway.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · EastEnders Current & Future · Next Topic »
Add Reply