Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Walford Web, the online home of EastEnders' discussion since 1997. We cover EastEnders news, discussion and spoilers. Join the discussion and make your voice heard! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're wondering what EastEnders is, click here to see what all the fuss is about.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic episode discussion: episodes 1-10; 6-10 August on Drama
Topic Started: 3 Aug 2018, 13:44 (12,972 Views)
Shamelessness
Member Avatar

Just starting this thread now because I’m on holiday next week and I’ll forget otherwise!

The re-runs of classic episodes, starting from the beginning, commences on Monday next week on the Drama channel, so I thought it would be a nice idea to open an episode thread for anyone who’s watching these episodes (or remembers watching them before) to discuss them.

We’ll start with a weekly thread, covering the first 10 episodes which will be shown next week, then depending on the popularity we can look at making the threads more or less frequent.

Here are the episodes due to be shown next week, please discuss them here! I won’t add 10 polls to the topic, so feel free to give a score out of 10 in your posts if you wish!

Monday 6 August 2018:
12:00 - Episode 1 (19 February 1985)
12:40 - Episode 2 (21 February 1985)

Tuesday 7 August 2018:
12:00 - Episode 3 (26 February 1985)
12:40 - Episode 4 (28 February 1985)

Wednesday 8 August 2018:
12:00 - Episode 5 (5 March 1985)
12:35 - Episode 6 (7 March 1985)

Thursday 9 August 2018:
12:00 - Episode 7 (12 March 1985)
12:35 - Episode 8 (14 March 1985)

Friday 10 August 2018:
12:00 - Episode 9 (19 March 1985)
12:40 - Episode 10 (21 March 1985)
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

I'm predicting that weekly threads might be how it stays, although i am happy to be proved wrong and that the threads would be popular enough to do it by episode :)
Seems right somehow that today of all days you should lose your job agaaaaain!

Jedi Pat
Member Avatar

I've seen the first 60-odd episodes at least three or four times from when I recorded them on videotape back in 1995 when the BBC did morning repeats. Nevertheless, I shall be watching again as of Monday - 1985 EastEnders and 1990 Corrie sounds like a great nostalgic combo.

MrSunshine
Member Avatar

I think I will find the show interesting, looking at it from a 2018 perspective. The show was groundbreaking for its time but I'd be interested to see what holds up and what doesn't again.

I've watched these episodes before and I remember the characters being well defined and believeable. And each had a purpose for each episode. I also remember the writing being sharp and the performances (well, most of them) in context, being grand. The directors seemed to have more control too. I recall many characters having business to do, that I gather was given by the director, that seems to be missing from episodes now.

Mostly I enjoyed each character being defined and different from others. We seem to get 4 of the same type of character now whereas then, if we had a specific character archetype, we'd have one.

Sunny
Member Avatar
Sunny
My math is probably totally out but with 2 episodes a week in the 80’s and 2 episodes a day for 5 days a week on Drama, it means we should be in early 1990 by this time next year. This is going to be awesome 😎

I’ll be watching this more religiously than the current show for sure!

Glorificus
Member Avatar

I've seen all of '85,86 anyway but there are bits of 1987 that I've forgotten about. Also with some episodes in 1988 the video quality was quite hard to watch and very grainy, so you couldn't get the full picture of what was going on. It also seemed some eps were not in the right order or it felt like it.

Looking forward to seeing Guizin in her full glory, & Queenie Price (Den's prison mate). He had some funny scenes with Nick.

Does anyone know what ep Nick tries to rob Ethel? It must be soon because David Scarboro (Original Mark Fowler) was in the scene.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

The first year is not so good in places tbh. There is some bad acting and a few embarrassing parts. it gets better towards the end of '85 and into '86

SquareEyes
Default Avatar

Sarah Hills
4 Aug 2018, 14:35
The first year is not so good in places tbh. There is some bad acting and a few embarrassing parts. it gets better towards the end of '85 and into '86
It will take just over 10 weeks to get through a years worth of episodes. With a rough calculation in my head, the highest viewing rated episode from Christmas 1986 should be broadcast around Christmas of this year... would be awesome if it falls exactly in Christmas week.
Posted Image

Kargo
Member Avatar

Drama may not even continue showing these past one month, they only ever said these classic episodes would be shown in August.
Posted Image

SquareEyes
Default Avatar

Kargo
5 Aug 2018, 13:25
Drama may not even continue showing these past one month, they only ever said these classic episodes would be shown in August.
I would hope they go further, they are starting from episode 1 and proceeding sequentially so it looks promising. Just hope they don't chop and jump forward. If they only do it for a few months it would be a lot of episodes.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Kargo
5 Aug 2018, 13:25
Surely they only meant it would be starting in August, not that it will only air during August.

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Well guys, there is just 1 hour to go. And i am watching The Bill while i wait :) Drama is becoming my favourite channel!

Lord Les
Member Avatar

Will this be available on catch up?

Kargo
Member Avatar

Lord Les
6 Aug 2018, 11:48
Will this be available on catch up?
Yes it will be, for 30 days.
Posted Image

TellyAddict
Member Avatar

That version of The Bill theme tune is still an absolute 10/10.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sarah Hills
Member Avatar

Lol at Arthur drinking the Whisky.

TellyAddict
Member Avatar

Surprise exit for Reg?
Posted Image

Ethel the Cat
Member Avatar

Hey look it’s Angie and her amazing hair.
Heather slaps Denise

Sunny
Member Avatar
Sunny
I think if they were just showing them in the month of August, they would have chosen specific classic eps than start from the beginning and then stop

TellyAddict
Member Avatar

Easy to see why Saeed was the first to go. Boring to the point he couldn't finish his scene without yawning.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · EastEnders Past · Next Topic »
Add Reply